“Christmas is not in the presents, but in the presence”
Our kitchen table is officially a disaster zone. I decided I couldn’t procrastinate any longer on getting all the presents made if I wanted any chance of being at the post office less than an hour. I’m not sure if that is possible this time of the year, but I am sure going to try. So if you are like me and both sides of your family are huge and leave you a zillion aunts, uncles, and cousins to think about for Christmas presents than this is the perfect gift for you to make! Its inexpensive and relatively quick!
Go to your local craft store and pick up the following:
Small tins (like the Altoid tins) or Already decorated tins (I found the tin in the 3rd picture at the Dollar Tree)
Instant Krazy Glue – Brush On (trust me…the others don’t work)
Magnets (I used ProMag – they come in various sizes and are circular)
Clear Marble Accents with a flat side (make sure they are clear. The best ones I found were at the Dollar Tree….better price and clearer than the ones at Michaels)
Circle Punch or Circle stencil
Favorite Paper, Accents, and Ribbon
Favorite pictures, photo paper, etc
Ok- so now that you have all the supplies lets get going on the How-To’s.
1. Using your circle punch or stencil cut out your favorite photos or designs from paper. (Note: I glued a plain piece of photo paper to the back of my picture and scrapbook paper to make it thicker and so you wouldn’t see the magnet.)
2. Using the Krazy Glue Brush, apply the glue to the flat side of the marble. Quickly apply the picture face down to the marble. This next step is key: Press down firmly for 30 seconds with your thumb and fingers. You want to make sure the glue spreads out and that you don’t have any bubbles. I had quite a few that I had to toss because I wasn’t doing this step well enough. You might want to have nail polish remover (to unglue you) near you because this glue is strong and there were a couple of times I thought I glued my fingers together….ooops!
3. After letting the picture and marble dry for a couple of minutes, take the magnet and apply the Krazy Glue to one side. Then attach that magnet to the back of the marble. Hold firmly for 30 seconds and let it set for a couple more minutes.
4. Voila! Your magnets are done.
5. Now decorate your tin. I used spray adhesive to attach my paper to the tin and then Mod Podged the top (I did a couple coats). I added some ribbon around the bottom of the tin and some embellishments.
6. Place the magnets in the tin and you have completed one of your gifts…good for you!
Like I mentioned before, if you want to make this a quick present you can find some cute tins at the Dollar Tree. I purchased the “Paris” tin from there and decided to go with that theme for the magnets so I just used leftover black and white scrapbook paper. I also used scrapbook paper for the wine magnets and then created my own photos and “I love U” magnets in Microsoft Word.
I hope this idea gets you moving on getting those Christmas gifts all done. This would make a great stocking stuffer along with presents for all those extended relatives and friends!
Be inspired, get creative, and have fun!